Sunday, May 24, 2015   


The following is a general outline and guide to obtaining permits needed to erect or construct a sign.

Sign: Any object, device, or structure, or part thereof, situated outdoors that is used to advertise, identify, display, direct, or attract attention to an object, person, institution, organization, business, product, service, event or location by any means, including words, letters, figures, designs, symbols, fixtures, colors, illumination, or projected images. Signs do not include the flag, or emblem of any nation, organization of nation, state, city or any fraternal, religious of civic organizations; works of art which in no way identify a product; or scoreboards located on athletic fields.

Zoning Compliance Permit

RULE: It shall be unlawful for any person to erect, construct, enlarge, move, or replace any sign, without first having obtained a zoning and building permit.


Property Development Permit (Zoning) - Fee Schedule

Building Permit

Building permits are issued to building contractors, or sign owners if they are doing the work.

Permit Fees:

Less than 100 sq. ft. - Fee Schedule
More than 100 sq. ft. - Fee Schedule

Information Needed:

  • Sign owner's name, address, telephone number
  • Property address [obtain information at our GIS Department]
  • Site Plan
  • Good directions to the property
  • Tax Parcel Number [can be found on deed or tax bill]
  • Contractor's name, address, phone number, and N.C. State License Number [if applicable]
  • Proof of Workman's Compensation Insurance (contractors only)
  • Property Development Permit (Zoning)
  • CAMA permit [if applicable]
  • if applicable]
  • State permits (e.g., DWQ, DOT, DENR) [if applicable]
  • 2 copies of construction plans
Electrical Permit

Electrical permits are issued to N.C. State Licensed Contractors. Sign owners may obtain the electrical permit if they are doing the work.


Electrical - Fee Schedule

Information Needed:

  • Building Permit Number

NOTE: Signs more than 24 feet high must be designed and approved by a North Carolina State Certified Engineer to have a wind tolerance of 100 miles per hour or greater.


In order to obtain final electrical power to the sign and receive a Certificate Of Compliance, owner must have:

  • A permanent attachment to sign bearing the Building Permit Number and the DOT Permit Number;
  • Certificate Of Completion for sign.